- Community Plan
- Village Office
Outdoor Activities – Winter…
If the sheer pleasure of carving through miles of untouched powder is what you are looking for, Telkwa is the place for you! Surrounded by snow capped mountain ranges, we have world class alpine backcountry skiing from November to June. Our area offers a wide variety of terrain to meet even the most challenging skiers and the scenery is simply breathtaking. Test your skill down the great King Louis run on the front of Hudson Bay Mountain at 1800 vertical meters at a constant 34 degrees, from peak to pavement in Glacier Gulch. Or enjoy the magnificent snow in the Howson Range, where large glaciers loom above deep forests of hemlock and fir. Looking for more, try Reiseter Lakes, Silver King, or Mount Hyland. Certified backcountry ski guides are available to ensure your trip is safe and enjoyable. Trips vary in length from one day to three week expeditions. There is a full slate of courses on ski mountaineering offered in the Bulkley Valley.
For those wanting to trek out on their own, there are local shops in nearby Smithers that rent telemark and alpine touring gear. Shop owners will provide advice on the best touring spots. You may also want to see the listing of backcountry cabins to try out.
Looking to link up with a group of skiers? Check out the Bulkley Valley Backpackers ski schedule under the Events Calendar for the weekly trips offered. Each trip has a group leader and is rated easy, moderate or difficult.
Cross Country Skiing
If you are looking for well groomed cross-country ski trails in a spectacular setting than you will love the Bulkley Valley Nordic Centre. The BV Nordic centre features a 45-km network of trails through sheltered spruce and pine forest, suited to every level of ability. The Nordic Centre is renowned for excellent snow conditions and a lengthy ski season, due to a) elevation and b) location in a snowbelt area between BC's cold interior and damp coastal climates. Bulkley Valley Nordic Centre Website
Alpine Skiing & Snowboarding
Whether its steep and deep or smooth and gentle, Hudson Bay Mountain's 35 runs provide great fun for every level of ability, from novice to expert. Line-ups are rare, with three lifts, including a triple chair to take you to the mountain's peak. Gear can be rented from the well outfitted rental and pro-shop on the mountain or from local shops before heading up. If you are new to skiing or snowboarding, there are friendly, qualified instructors at the ski school that are happy to help you out. Hudson Bay Mountain has a full service day lodge, with a restaurant and lounge that frequently features live entertainment. There are organized events and competitions held throughout the year. If you looking to stay overnight on the mountain, ask about the cabin rentals and superb bed & breakfast.
The crowd free slopes, excellent variety of terrain, amazing snow conditions, all-around affordability, and spectacular scenery are the reasons people return to friendly Hudson Bay Mountain. Open daily for your skiing and snowboarding pleasure, Hudson Bay Mountain is all about the powder. For more information check out the link to Hudson Bay Mountain.
World class snowmobiling terrain abounds! There are three alpine areas are set aside for the enjoyment of snowmobilers, The Big Onion, Dome Mountain, and the Microwave.
The Big Onion is situated northwest of Telkwa in the Babine Mountain Recreational Area and offers incredible sledding for all levels of riders. The Snowmobile Association maintains two cabins on the mountain, both of which are equipped with propane appliances. Each year the annual Hill Climb event is held on this mountain in March.
Dome Mountain offers a wide variety of sledding from wide, open meadows and trails to steep slopes. After a day of sledding nestled down in the all season cabin for a cup of hot chocolate. Each year the annual Snowarama Ride takes place on the Dome Mountain in February.
The Microwave is located approximately half an hour south of Telkwa on an active logging road. This area offers terrain suitable for all levels of ability. The Microwave is known for its deep, deep powder! Keep one eye on the weather as it can change rapidly.
Outdoor Skating Rink
Do you enjoy skating or a game of shinny hockey? Telkwa has an outdoor skating rink! Joseph F. Dockrill Memorial Rink is free to use and benches are provided. The rink is open to the public for daily use until 11:00 p.m. each evening. The ice is maintained by a dedicated group of community volunteers.
Directions to Joseph F. Dockrill Memorial Rink: Turn south off Highway 16 onto Hankin Avenue at the pedestrian crossing. You will see the Bulkley River straight ahead. Then turn right onto Fifth Street and pull into the parking lot overlooking the rink and the Bulkley River.
Bulkley Valley Cross Country Ski Club
- Starr Creek Cabin – $25 per person per night. Contact Alf King (250) 847-3743
- Harold Price Cabin - Contact Pat Becker (250) 847-5401
Smithers Snowmobile Club
- The Club has five cabins available for use. All are designated multi-use. (250) 847-4581
- 2 cabins on Onion Mountain
- Dome Mountain Cabin
- Telkwa-Microwave range Cabin
- Harold Price Meadows Cabin
BC Parks Cabins
Joe L'Orsa Cabin at Silver King Basin in Babine Mountain Provincial Park
- Cabin is used on a first come – first served basis. There is no reservation system.
- Users should call BC Parks prior to using.
- $5 per person per night. 13 years and under at no charge. Pay at BC Parks at Smithers office.
- Contact BC Parks at 847-7320
- BC parks maintains a list of who is planning to use the cabin so they can tell you if a group of 20 is planning to go in the same night as you!
- Contact Bear Enterprises - Christoph Dietzfelbinger 847-2854
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org
- A brand new mountain cabin in the Howson Range.
- $1,600 per week. Sleeps 10 people.
- Guided tours available
Nanika Lake Cabins
- Contact Jim Tourond: 250-695-6351
- or email@example.com www.nanika.ca
- 4 wilderness cabins with propane stoves, fridges, sleeping bunks and mattresses. Each one a little different from the other so contact the owner for details on cabin amenities, rates and availability.
- Nanika Lake Cabin - fly-in
- Kidprice Lake Cabin - fly-in or canoe portage in summer
- Atna Lake Cabin - fly-in or canoe portage in summer
- Collins Lake Cabin - drive-in
Fort Mountain View
- Contact Angelika Langen 847-5101, fax-847-5877 email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Dormstyle accommodation. Electric heat, full kitchen and washroom facilities.
- Nightly and weekly rates available.
- Sleeps up to 30 people.
Maple Leaf Cabin
- Contact Elaine or Randy Rogers 847-9940
- Email email@example.com
- 20 minutes from Smithers
- sleeps 4 (or more in additional facility)
- $100 per night/double occupancy
- For rent all year round. On the banks of Bulkley River.
Let our certified guides take you to the top! There is spectacular waterfall climbing in our area and highly specialized instructors available to assist you in accomplishing your goal. No matter what your level of ability, beginner or advanced, our certified guides will provide you with a first class, safe, fun-filled ice climbing adventure. If you are new to ice climbing no worries, courses for ice climbing are available and gear can be rented from local shops. So grab some crampons and come on up!
Fridays starting October 7, 2016
October 21, 2016
October 04, 2016
September 29, 2016
September 27, 2016more news